Hi there, I’m Liv and I am unemployed for the first time in a long, long time. Nothing is scarier than taking that first step towards exploring the world than giving up a well paid job, a stable home with house mates you actually like and a life where if you want to buy that sparkly new top you just can.
In two weeks time I am flying out to Sydney to begin an adventure of a life time, a total last minute decision to book a one-way ticket to the other side of the world after one particularly bad week in my life. I guess you could say I am impulsive, I am headstrong and incredibly stubborn.
In spite of it all, I feel liberated. You might be thinking I have some amazing plan of what I’m doing, places I want to visit and an endless list of things I would like to do – and I suppose my vague bucket list is better than nothing:
1. Get on a plane – I am terrified of heights and flying ever since my skydive when I was 18. A long haul flight is a huge deal for me.
2. Visit the cactus garden at Singapore airport during my layover at Singapore airport for 1hr 35mins – My dad is convinced I won’t have enough time to see the cacti. Challenge accepted.
3. Meet a koala – Ever since my discovery that dropbears are actually a hoax to scare tourists (me), I’ve never been more excited to cuddle a friendly little koala.
4. Visit the Whitsundays – I have never seen such clear waters, I have always always wanted to go on holiday somewhere where you can actually see your feet beneath you in the water and not wonder if you’re swimming in someone’s faeces (Margate – I’m looking at you here).
5. Work on a farm in Adelaide. This one is a more reluctant addition to my list, but to score your second year visa you must spend a few months becoming one with nature (I could eye roll emoji for days).
And that’s it – that’s everything I would like to do on my travels which is not exactly a comprehensive list. Getting on the plane on my own will no doubt be the hardest thing for me and asides from that I’m planning on just going with the flow and hopefully meet people who have more solid plans than myself to tag along with.